Today, I finished off a big section of the “Taming the Jungle” project. I purchased 40 x 6 feet stretch of professional landscape fabric. I laid it next to the oakleaf hollies and positioned it where I wanted it to go. I felt it was important not to slice completely through the sheet in order for rogue weeds to start popping through.
Once set, I cut an “X” towards the front of fabric and lifted it over the top of the far right holly tree.
Next, I carefully pulled the fabric to the ground, gathering the prickly leaves and stems so they popped out the top. With the fabric touching the ground, I felt around to assure I had gotten all of the branches closest to the soil out from beneath the cover.
Then, I pulled the fabric taut and cut another “X.” The process was repeated two more times.
I made sure the ground was as clear as it could be under the fabric. However, I didn’t want to dig all of the weeds and seeds out, so I just left them. I mean, I did remove the leaves, I’m positive, there are a boat ton more.
After all the trees popped through and the fabric laid flat on the ground, I started to throw the two yards of mulch from the truck bed. Thankfully, my son rescued me, and he filled the wheelbarrow while I dumped it and spread the mulch… over and over and over again.
I had excess fabric on the left and right sides… so I must come up with a plan for those areas as well. I could repeat the pattern with 3 more oakleaf hollies… or I could add three different smaller evergreens so there’s a more diverse culture of plants in the hedge screen.
Please stay tuned for answers to those burning questions and more!
If you missed Part I, view it here: